A note from Tanya, CEO & Founder
My 14-year-old daughter and I have been struggling this week. Struggling with the stark reminders of racial inequality that we cannot, as a country, continue to ignore. Struggling with how the tears and discourse of our nation can turn into policy and action. Struggling to find ways to make a difference, and not let the confines of COVID-19 become constraints of our conscience.
Today, an article was published by CNN about the gross disparities in our country, one of which is the disparity in wealth. It is yet another marker of our country’s problematic history with racial inequality.
The article might be news to many, but it’s not news to us.
It is, in fact, why we exist.
- We exist to give every kid in America – from the borough of Brooklyn to the hills of Berkeley – an equal chance at the American dream.
- We exist to teach kids the power of saving early, and how compound interest can compound their opportunities.
- We exist to educate kids about key financial concepts that can help them to build their path to wealth, brick by brick.
- We exist because financial health dictates physical and mental health, and every one of our kids deserves the chance to be healthy, in every way.
- We exist because wealth created by one person can fuel the wealth of both communities and generations to come.
- We exist so that you can put your kid to bed at night and know that you have prepared them to become financially independent, because financial strength is foundational to social power.
So while the disparity that we see on the news brings me to tears, often along with my teenage daughter, I want you to know that the reason I started this company is so that those disparities no longer exist twenty years from now.
We exist to make inequality disappear.
Thank you for being a part of our movement to do so.
I hope you and your families are all remaining safe at this time.
Our thoughts are with you.